Gina Tonic Interview




1. Before you go onstage at shows, how do you get yourself "in the zone"?

The best way for me to get in the zone is having a gin & tonic, of course!

2. What made you decide on the name Gina Tonic?

It started out because my drink of choice is gin, but the name has staying power because my mom's name is Gina, and "tonic" is a term from music theory and I'm a singer - so it's just a perfect fit!

3. How do you prepare for a show?

I like to listen to podcasts while I do my makeup. I usually spend a fair amount of time admiring myself in the mirror, and I make sure to warm up vocally too!

4. Do you think enough people support small and local drag queens?

Especially in New York where I am based, there is some wonderful support for local drag queens. There is even a friend of ours that bakes cookies for the local queens when she comes to our shows. It's fabulous!

5. What advice would you give to new drag queens?

My advice to new queens is to go out. Even if you think you look terrible - go out and see a show, have a drink! Nobody expects you to look perfect your first time out, and the only way you will get better is through practice.

6. What's the hardest part about being a drag queen that not many people know?

I think one of the hardest things is maintaining friendships and relationships. We have a very social career, but I'm always working when my friends are free and vice versa, so it's hard to see them.

7. What do your performances involve?

I'm mostly a live-singing comedy queen. I do lots of stand up and song parodies. I also do lots of campy lip syncs too! Lots of girly pop like Britney and Aqua.

8. What made you decide to start doing drag?

It was never my choice to begin with. I'm an actor and started getting cast in drag roles in plays and musicals. Once I moved to New York, I experienced a creative drought, and I started performing as a solo drag artist to have a new creative outlet.

9. What's your favourite part of doing drag? 

I love how beautiful I am.

10. Sum up Gina Tonic in three words

Vintage camp glamour

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alyssa Edwards 'Dancing Queen'

Alana Duvey Interview

Laganja Estranja Interview