John Celestus Interview



1. What drag queens inspire you?

My inspiration comes always by performers who have something different to give to their audience. Although the list of inspirational people is long, I have a particular soft spot for Mademoiselle Boop, Loulou Velvet, Edna and La Veuve from Brussels.

2. What's the hardest part of doing drag?

Partically: drag is uncomfortable as the transforming your physical appearance into approaching the opposite gender can be challenging for the body.

Emotionally: every single drag performer I know, has had at least one incident of harassment on the street.

3. How did you find find out about drag?

I am from Greece where drag as we know it today, is just being developed. However, impersonating something from the opposite gender happens since the very ancient years. And I was always inspired by the transformation.

4. What does drag mean to you?

Drag to me is a form of art. The art of transportation. This art can get magical if it's combined with the art of performance. It is a great way to explore one's self. It's not only the exploration of the gender and sexuality but also it is of great interest to watch the social aspect of it.

5. Who's the best drag performer's that you've performed with?

That's a hard to answer question. I have had the privilege to perform all over Europe and to a few states of America where I have indeed shared the stage with some exquisite people.

6. What do you wish more people knew about drag?

I wish people could understand that a drag performer is there to be watched and not touched. People tend to constantly touch us many times, this ruines our make-up, hair or costume. Or even worse.....often we are touched at very private part.

7. How would you describe your drag performance?

I'm heavily inspired by the Victorian music halls and cabaret. I always choose an androgynous imagery. My goal is not to convince people that I'm a woman. Ultimately I want to make my audience question themselves.

8. How old were you when you done your first drag show and first went out in drag? Were you nervous?

My first drag performance was when I was 14 (oops) in Athens. I dressed up and sang live the big spender of Shirley Bassey. Back then RuPaul's Drag Race was not really a thing.

9. What's your favourite song to lip sync to?

I don't really lipsync as a drag queen. I prefer singing live, hosting or doing burlesque. When it comes to lipsync, my favourite song is boobs by Ruth Wallis.

10. What's the best part about doing drag?

Drag and cabaret has taken me to many different countries, has made me meet countless incredible people and so much backstage laughter. Overall it has opened my mind broaden my horizons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alyssa Edwards 'Dancing Queen'

Alana Duvey Interview

Laganja Estranja Interview