Riley Vyrus Interview




1. How did you start doing drag?

I started drag after seeing sink the pink, having being involved with the alternative rock scene since I was 14, I was already weaing a tonne of makeup when I went out looking very androgynous. I started off doing that sort of drag that evolved. Our local alt gay night hadn't been going for some while so I decided to put on a night.

2. Who or what inspired your drag style?

Meth, Sink the pink, Divine and androgynous icons such as Tilda Swinton and Marilyn Manson origanlly inspired me along with Anna Phylactic and Cheddar Gorgeous.

3. How important do you think fan interaction at shows is and why?

Fan interaction is massively important, at my show especially with my Ethel character, she does a lot of comedy so expect to be picked on. With Riley, it's more expect to be covered in glitter and singalong lol.

4. If you had the chance to perform with 3 drag performers, who would it be?

My dream lineup would be Meth, Crystal Lubrikunt, Sharon Needles and Sasha Velour.

5. What's the best thing about doing drag?

I love seeing the audience enjoy themselves, that's the most important and amazing thing.

6. How did you get your drag name and how long did it take you to think of one?

It just came to me one day, and I ran with it. It didn't take me ages.

7. What makes you stand out from other drag queens?

I think having two distinct characters helps me stand out, also singing live.

8. What's the hardest part about doing drag?

Getting yourself out there, I've been doing this for 4 years and I'm only just getting regular bookings and nights. Don't expect it to fall into place straight away. 

9. What tips and advice would you give to people wanting to start drag and what should they know about drag?

Have a talent, learn your character! Death dropping is not a character, it's good when it's done properly but use it sparingly. Don't just reference rupaul queens, be yourself. It's okay to make mistakes, people will hate you but actually it's the people that stick with you that are the true supporters.

10. Can you tell us an interesting fact about yourself?

I supported Aja dressed as an 81 year old lady.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alyssa Edwards 'Dancing Queen'

Alana Duvey Interview

Laganja Estranja Interview