Alexis Mateo Interview

We recently caught up with RuPaul's Drag Race season 3 and All Stars 1 queen, Alexis Mateo about fashion, Miss Vanjie and all things drag!

                               
1. How did you find out about drag and what made you decide that this is what you wanted to do?

I always knew I was special but growing up I realized that I was not the best dancer or singer but I was meant to be on stage. It was not until the year 2000 when I moved to Orlando, Florida that I saw my first drag show and I fell in love with it.

2. Tell us about your first time in drag.

I was a dancer at Walt Disney World and me and my roomates were short on rent money so we decided that we were all gonna enter a drag talent search that was offering $100 cash. For my surprise I won and Alexis was born.

3. You got to work with Kelly Osbourne and put her into drag during All Stars 1, what was that experience like?

kelly was amazing. Very sweet and loves drag. I got to realize that celebrities are humans just like anybody and I was really excited I got to meet her. I think we were robbed cause we were the best that night...trust me I was there. Lol


4. You started out as a fashion designer, what inspired the styles you created? How long did these normally take to create?

I'm better dressing other people. Inspiration for me happens from anywhere and at any time. Normally I'm inspired by the femininity of a woman. Curves and elegants always show in my designs. When I make something it takes me hours to make. It all depends on what I'm making.

5. What's the ups and downs of being on RuPaul's Drag Race?

Ups: Popularity, fame and money
Downs: Jealousy, long hours of travel and no sleep

6. Shaunna asks, how did you react to your drag daughters now pretty well known catchphrase "Miss Vanjie...Miss Vanjie...Miss...Vanjiieee" went viral?

When I sent Vanessa to Drag Race I knew she was a star. I just wanted the world to know her. I was not expecting such a big reaction but I'm so proud of her and I'm excited for her future. Only bad thing is that I miss her so much. Jose was my best friend and roomate so I miss him around.



7. You've won a lot of pageants, would you say you are competitive by nature or do you enjoy taking part?

I love anything drag. Pageants, shows or drag race. Drag is my passion and I support it in any shape or form.

8. How did your experience on All Stars 1 differ from the first time you appeared on Drag Race?

I hated All Stars 1. We should all have a re-do on this season. Enough said.

9. What made you decide to apply for Drag Race?

I wanted to do something big and show people who Alexis is. I'm very lucky to be part of it. It was a dream come true.

10. Riley Vyrus asks, do you have a favourite underrated UK queen, if so who?

Pretty much any UK queen is amazing but I'm Puerto Rican so all eyes on my talented Island. One of my favourite there is Amalara Sofia. Check her out.

11. Who has been your favourite queen's to work with?

I love Roxxxy Andrews, Shangela and Coco Montrese. We work together a lot and is always super fun. Other than that, all my season 3 sisters are amazing. When we get together, it's like a family reunion lol

12. What advice would you give to queen's just starting out?

Don't do drag to be on TV, do it cause you love it and you will be successful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alyssa Edwards 'Dancing Queen'

Alana Duvey Interview

Laganja Estranja Interview