Effi Darling interview

                                              

1. What type of performances do you do?

It depends on the gig be it comedy/horror/standard lip syncing. I'd say though comedic numbers and stand up is my favourite way to perform.

2. How long have you been doing drag for and why did you start doing it?

I started four years ago but didn't actively start doing it until a year and a half ago. I started initially because I wanted to be this beautiful vision of a woman I used to paint in class. Over time though my perspective has changed. Now I use it to express myself more creatively through makeup as an art form.

3. What part of doing makeup is the hardest or most stressful for you?

Starting. I dread it up until I start applying it and then I love it. As Bob Ross says, there are no mistakes only happy accidents.

4. What's one thing you didn't know about drag that you know now? 

You're not Beyonce so always stay humble. You'll always find new ways to learn how little you actually know.

5. What's the downsides to drag that you feel not that many people know about?

Drag is exhaustingly expensive. Especially as the more you do it the more drag you need and the more you want to better your drag. Even if you aren't spending money on costumes you're spending time making them. Until you get to a point where you do drag full time you usually have to cram all that into your work schedule too.

6. What's the best part and hardest part of doing a performance?

Best part is that connection you get with an audience when they are having fun during your performance and you are having fun. I tend to feed off others energy so their enjoyment is the best reward. The hardest part is endurance and dancing. I have asthma so keeping energy the whole way is a struggle sometimes.

7. What was your first time in full drag like?

It was a whole mess and a half. Prior I was convinced I wasn't going to have a first time in drag story and that I was flawless. Life then preceded to prove me wrong. I ended up running across my college campus with my butt out because my dress rode ALL the way up. My college was also holding a Christian concert that day so needless to say I gave the Christians a show they'd never forget.

8. What's your favourite part of doing drag?

The interactions I have with people when they are excited to see me. Drag is a good conversation starter. I like meeting new people and chatting with people who are as excited about drag as I am.

9. Do you feel like drag has helped you in any way?

Oh absolutely. This past year alone drag has brought so much fun, and friendship into my life I wouldn't have had without it. Drag has given me an outlet to share my art with others. Also being successful in drag is a challenge, so it's given me goals in my life to strive for. That's a good thing no matter who you are or what you're passionate about.

10. How would you describe Effi Darling to people that don't know her?

She's that weird kid drawing in the back of class. But she's a good time when you get to know her. I think the most obvious descriptor is a chameleon, alien or a surrealist painting coming to life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alyssa Edwards 'Dancing Queen'

Alana Duvey Interview

Laganja Estranja Interview