Houston McAlester Interview



1. What inspired you to start doing drag?

I started doing drag after seeing RPDR, and I wasn't sure if I could do drag at first because I'm afab. I looked into it and sure enough, found out about drag kings as well as afab queens!

2. What's your favourite part about being onstage?

The best part about being on stage is that I can be whoever I want without judgement. I grew up in a strict household where my every action was judged harshly, and it led to me stifling myself in real life. As Houston, I can be loud, colorful and most importantly, myself.

3. What is the drag scene like where you're from?

The scene in OKC is like the city itself; not really huge or impressive compared to Chicago or places like that, but really blossoming compared to what it once was.

4. What issues do you feel Drag Kings face that Queens wouldn't necessarily face?

Drag Kings don't have nearly the platform or publicity that Queens do. It's often that you'll see shows with only Queens, but rare that you'll see shows with only Kings. Also, Kings get misgendered a lot more in my experience. I've mer very few cisgender Kings, but we're constantly being called girls by our hosts and others.

5. Where would you most like to perform?

Somewhere big, like Hamburger Mary's, or in a pride festival. I'm about 3 months out from having performed for a year, so I've yet to experience something like that.

6. How do you prepare youself before you go onstage?

Other than going over my songs amd double checking my look, one thing I do is I have a small wooden hippo that I hold very tightly and say a Wiccan incantation with. Hasn't failed me yet!

7. You recently took part in the Partners In Pink show. What was the best part of that show for you?

Partners in Pink was incredible! I got to meet my drag parents in person finally, I had a couple of friends see me perform for the first time, and just meeting the different performers was astonishing! Everyone who was a part of it was amazing.

8. Which drag Kings or Queens would you like to work with the most?

I'd love to work with Damien D'Luxe and Luna Rossa, as well as Alyssa Edwards and Laganja Estranja. They're all so talented, it's amazing.

9. Where can we find out more information about you and what you do?

My drag Instagram is where everything Houston McAlester goes, @mister_mcal ! You can see my casual looks, looks from my bookings, and get in touch with me! I also post a good amount on my personal Facebook page, Demetrius Dion Lacopo!

10. As a singer, which other singers do you take inspiration from?

I listen to a lot of different artists, like Panic! At The Disco, Gorillaz, and Fall Out Boy, and I usually just find little things they do with their voices that I like. I like to sing Billie Holiday in practices or vocal warmups as well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alyssa Edwards 'Dancing Queen'

Alana Duvey Interview

Laganja Estranja Interview