Dawn Lenore Interview



1. How long have you been doing drag?

I've been doing drag since March 2018. But never performed until late Augusst 2018.

2. What or who inspired you to start doing drag?

I was at a really rocky point with my mental health and I just needed to try something to take my mind off things. I started out doing cosplay in 2015 because because of my poor health and a lot of the skills cross over e.g. sewing, wigs, etc. But I never realised that afab (female at birth) queens existed until seeing Marla Sinner perform at Trigger at AXM in Glasgow. A lot of the local Trigger girls got me really inspired to start drag and I never even knew before going to local shows that a scene even existed for LGBT people and the fact that everyone is a bit spoopy made me really fit in.

3. What makes you stand out from other queens?

I try to do exreme looks but glam them up. A little bit of spoop doesn't hurt anyone!

4. How did you get your first show and how long had you been doing drag for at that point?

I had been going to at least 2 shows weekly hoping to maybe one day get a gig but had been too nervous to reach out to people as out of drag I'm extemely shy and awkward. I knew a friend of a friend and had my first gig in Stirling at Gag hosted by Annita (who hates me getting mushy) but I really am so thankful for her giving me a chance and the support.

5. When did you know what kind of drag you wanted to do?

In my day to day life, I never feel comfortable in "trendy" fashion and much prefer a darker alternative style of clothes and that kinda transferred over to drag. I study fashion at college so expressing myself through fashion is really important for me. After watching Dragula I knew that there was a place for more of my type of drag in the community.

6. What do you say to afab queens that want to start doing drag?

Go for it. Honestly, what have you got to lose! Just make sure you have a friend about when putting yourself in a new environment and don't be scared to talk to queens. Always make sure you're in a position where you are safe enough to do drag and that food and rent come first! It's scary putting yourself in a new environment but I made friends pretty quick despite being so awkward so if I can do it anyone can <3

7. How would you describe Dawn Lenore?

Spooky, on the verge of a breakdown and CONTACTS!!!!

8. How did you get your drag name?

Dawn was my screen name for years so it only felt right (and it's a really cute name fyi) Lenore is from Edgar Allan poes poem "lenor" which they also made a cartoon and comic book series off. Lenore is a character that is just me, haha.

9. How does a drag act come together for you?

Usually, I start off with the mix and then pick my clothing/wigs etc based on the mix. And practice in my mirror a bit to my track but a lot of the time I just improvise as it's no stress and it flows better for me.

10. If you were to host a drag show, what would it be called?

Probaly something really stupid. But a name that I really like is "Dawn of the final day" from Zelda Majora's mask.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alyssa Edwards 'Dancing Queen'

Alana Duvey Interview

Laganja Estranja Interview