Leo Del Crooner Interview



1. What made you decide to start doing drag?

I went to a show to see my friend perform (It's Just Crystal) and I thought "That looks like a lot of fun, I bet I could do that and do it really well!"

2. What's your favourite and least favourite part of doing drag?

My favourite part is when I'm performing and the crowd is loving it, especially when I pull out a trick like an outfit change or something. My least favourite part is untaping my chest binding, it hurts like a bitch! I'd also say I hate it when stuff is left to the last minute too.

3. How would you describe your performances?

Highly choreographed with a story or theme, great dance moves, drama, suave ladie's man, Spanish papi, & known for collaborating with other performers for duets.

4. How does an act come together for you?

I will either have a theme or idea in mind then I'll search for a song that will fit, or I'll  listen to a song I like and start brainstorming what's the best way to present it. I'll think of everything from props, costume, how I'll enter or exit the stage, any tricks I'll want to do. There's always at least one special "trick" I'll do to make each performance have something exciting & memorable.

5. Has anyone helped you get to where you are now?

My whole drag family has helped me by challenging me to do more variety instead of staying in a single genre or niche. I want to branch out more in order to do more creative looks & they've helped me with new makeup techniques.

6. What makes you stand out from others?

Probaly that I can lip sync in different languages, but I also want to say that I try to be really convincing as a king. When I perform I don't break character & I stay confident & always bring high energy while staying composed. I always try to avoid being sloppy like tripping, forgetting words, or other faux pas. My binding has come undone before, but I've never lost my wig!

7. Can you tell us an interesting fact about yourself?

I'm originally from Puerto Rico, so that's why I like that I can perform as a suave papi as one of my signatures.

8. How do you deal with pre-show nerves?

What nerves? Lol! Part of performing is having the guts to get out there and demand the crowds attention. I'm very rarely nervous, unless I'm live singing or if there's a complicated performance with a lot of queues to remember,

9. What advice do you give to drag performers about doing a show for the first time?

Have high energy, but reel it back so you don't get sloppy. Go on stage like you already won the Olympics & everyone is cheering for you & you're the best! And find your niche, like a genre & create your persona around that like your signature look. Just don't limit yourself to only that, you gotta be able to do challenges, be creative & think on your feet. Maybe take dance lessons, but never forget to move your lips to the lyrics and move your body to the music.

10. Is there anything you wish you knew about drag before you started doing it?

That this bitch needs to stretch beforehand and work on her stamina!! Lol!! It's physically exhausting & you sweat A LOT, especially if you do a lot of dance in your numbers like I do. So that would be another tip! Plus stay hydrated!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alyssa Edwards 'Dancing Queen'

Alana Duvey Interview

Laganja Estranja Interview