Thistle Interview




1. What made you decide on the name Thistle?

When I first started drag my original name was Donna M'neez but after a while I didn't feel like it was a good fit, I wanted something pretty sounding but also something in relation to Scotland, but something that wasn't your typical drag name and eventually I came up with Thistle after Scotland's national flower.

2. What's the key to a great performance?

For me it's being able to connect to the song or theme is always they key, before you perform something go through it in your head and think what character you're going to play in that song and understand the origins behind the song or understand what the character you're about to portray would do if they were to be on that stage.

3. How do you feel that you inspire people and that people look up to you?

I find it quite astonishing that I do so if I'm honest, as much as I've gained experience and grown over the years as an artist I'm still learning and growing myself, but I do feel grateful and humble that I'm able to do that through my drag. I try to help others anyway I can and I always try to make people feel welcome and create a positive loving space. I just hope people feel that and that they can be inspired to do the same and create a positive space for others.

4. How much confidence does it take to do drag?

It's not so much confidence, it's courage that is needed to do drag, a lot of queens I know lack self confidence but are able to fake it the moment they're on that stage. It takes courage to face others when stepping out of that door and putting on your armour to face the world.

5. What drag queens do you look up to?

I look up to most queens who take to the stage, I'm always in awe watching others perform and feel inspired by their energies and performances. Sherry Vine was one of the first drag queens I adored and one of the first queens to have me head over heels laughing. To me she is a legend. As for my local scene in Scotland I look up to the queens who set up the first set of weekly shows in Scotland as they pushed drag in Scotland to a different and new direction. So the likes of Alice Rabbit, Ru Jazzle, Lacy Rain and Carrie Ann Crow are the queens I look up to as they have given a wide birth of drag across Scotland and a new energy.

6. Do you have a drag daughter? If so, who is it?

I have two daughters! Both are friends I have known for over 10 years and are both two of my dearest friends. However it's only been the past couple of years I've reconnected with them and eventually they've been adopted into my family. My first born is Raven Redstars, she is my rebellious dark daughter with a love of Amy Lee and balck flowing outfits, she has been a great support to my drag as well and has helped me a lot in terms of pushing me to be a better queen also, we've helped each other a lot over the years and I am proud of her progress. My second born is Bree Bombay, she has been doing drag since May 2018. She is quite the shy queen at first but once you get to know her she's a ball of energy. She isn't afraid to get down and dirty and loves showing off her bodacious bod. She has flown tremendously the past few months and I am super impressed how far she's come in such a short time, just now I have a lot of focus and attention pointed at her to help her get to the level of drag I know she can get to, she has a bright future in drag and I can't wait to see it happen before my eyes.

7. If you could support any drag queen on their tour, who would it be and why?

To support any drag queen on any tour would be an honour but as I mentioned earlier it would have to be Sherry Vine, it would be my 14 year old self's dream come true to even share a stage with her.

8. What's the most stressful part of doing drag?

The most stressful bit is getting ready for me, from the makeup, where you're making sure everything is perfect and you look flawless and then having to put on the body while trying not to sweat everything off before you even get to the venue, once I'm in drag and have become the full fantasy that's when I relax and Thistle comes fully out to play.

9. What's the key to a great lip sync?

The key to a great lipsync is to know your audience and the venue you're going to be performing to, some lipsync work well on a theatrical like stage but not so much in a chilled out pub setting where you're going to be performing to, make sure you connect with your audience as well. I feel it's important to make them feel involved and that they feel welcomed then they will relax and enjoy it all the more.

10. You recently performed at The Rabbit Hole, how was that expierence?

The Rabbit Hole is always a great experience for me. Alice was there the first night I performed on stage and has been supportive of my drag also. The audience's there are always so positive and lovely, especially during the fringe, it's 10x more electric I find during the festival period. If the opportunity arises I highly suggest to give it a visit, every Tuesday it runs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alyssa Edwards 'Dancing Queen'

Alana Duvey Interview

Laganja Estranja Interview