Aphrodeity Interview



1. What your local drag scene like?

I like to call my local drag scene "disproportionately talented". We are so overwhelmed with new drag entertainers that the rule of thumb for everyone has become: no matter what it is you do, you had better be exceptional at it. And all of our most popular entertainers are just that.

2. Who are some of the best queens you've seen or met?

You have pageant queens like Gia Bianca Stephens who can own a walk like I've never seen before, fashion queens like Sister Molly Mormon who I've literally seen melt paint bombs from inside a dress she handmade, you have dancer queens like The Whore of '94 , grunge/counter-culture queens like The Harlot and Terra Flesh, and then your all-around amazing entertainers like Kay Bye. And not to oversell myself, but I feel I've carved my own slice of that scene as well.

3. What do your shows usually consist of?

As Salt Lake City's resident ocean princess, I have two very different styles of performing. Most of my lip sync numbers are both entertaining but also thematic. I would never just go out and perform a J. Lo mix because it's good to dance to. I want to grip people, give gags, give stunts, make people come up to me and say they remember my number and not just "oh that girl does some cool jump splits". But on the flip side, I'm a professional comedian and I host my own movie roasting night down at Brewvie's Cinema pub where I ad lib "Mystery Science Theatre" style jabs and jokes at the movie's expense. Making people laugh and smile is my #1 goal in drag.

4. What does drag mean to you?

Drag was like a set of french windows opening up for me. 6 months into me doing drag was the first time I got told and truly ever felt like I was good at something and mattered. So I now refuse to live in a life of Plan B. This is 100% my life.

5. Is there anything about drag that you feel is underated?

Open-mindedness. I have learned at least one thing from every single entertainer I've met no matter what style of drag they do. Gia Bianca Stephens is one of my biggest role models and the two of us could not be further apart in what we do. No matter what genre of drag you belong in, you can learn something from everyone.

6. How long do you usually practice for a show for?

Physically? Couple hours. Emotionally? Weeks. Possibly up to a month. I'm a creature of anxiety and refuse to stop coming up with ideas and concepts.

7. You shared a stage with Miz Cracker, what was that experience like?

Miz Cracker is an angel. She is one of the queens who I saw being successful in drag and comedy and gave me hope. She brought the whole family with her and they were all so kind. It was also my birthday weekend and having an entire crowd sing me happy birthday and bring me free booze and remember who I am and love me was the greatest feeling.

8. What other queens would you like to share a stage with?

I really want to work with Erika Klash and Vander Von Odd, who were big makeup inspirations to me, Lisa Limbaugh, Lucy Stoole, Gina Tonic, Anka Shayne, The Vixen, Dahlia Sin (I was hoping she would be with Aja when I opened for her during pride but she's a busy girl) and so manuy others.

9. How hard is it for a drag performer to get themselves out there?

The hardest part to get out there in adrag is getting that first booking. I had to pull teeth and bust my ass to get my first paid booking and over time people saw me improve and work, and then the bookings start rolling in. Once you get over that hump, as long as you never plateau in your talent, you can always find an audience.

10. Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

Ideally I see myself doing a travelling show with a rotating cast of my SLC sisters and brothers that I pick up. When I make it, I'm going to make sure every single entertainer that was there for me when I was scrounging for a paid gig is now taken care of because we have too much talent that is getting overlooked.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alyssa Edwards 'Dancing Queen'

Alana Duvey Interview

Laganja Estranja Interview