Jeremy Mikush Interview



1. What was the first indication that you wanted to get into music?

I come from a family of singers, guitar players, and sing-a-longs before bedtime while growing up. So making music and hearing music was there from my toddler-hood. Writing music came more in my early 20s when I was writing poetry and having relationship agnst and existentail angst about my sexuality and relationships and my spirituality. So I didn't really write or compose music until Alaska asked me to help her with music for our early collaborations ca. 2007-2010.

2. What was the inspiration for the music video Aliens? How did you bring this to life?

Musically, it's a love-letter to the work of musicians like Jewel, Joan Baez, and ABBA--our parents/grandparents generation of great melodies, deeper subjects in the lyrics, and catchy post-choruses one can hum. I adore folk music and acoustic music, so it springs from that. Video-wise, I wanted cows and a field like in the music video of  "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)", and we got to film in Hastings, which is so creepy because a major European battle was fought there a millennia ago! And apparently there's some band called the Kelly Family who I'd never heard of who have a music video called "I Fell In Love With an Alien", which is bizarrely now connected in  my mind with our music video. Alaska loves the original Alien film, so there was the Aliens vs. Human element in the third verse. And a not to ET in the second verse. Otherwise, we were interesting in reflecting on the relationship we Earth Humans have to Others...it's so important we clarify these relationships between one another in a time of such sweeping changes socially, politically, economically, and existentially.



3. You've done two podcasts on your SoundCloud, what made you decide to do these? Can we expect anymore?

I love podcasting! If anyone wants to podcast with me, let me know! I wanted people to know more of a perspective on who I am and the amazing family of artists, creators, and magical folks around me who I love and who inspire me. I hope so! And maybe I'll do some solo podcasts on my favourite subjects, like spirituality, history, opera and musical theater, and other music!

4. What age did you start playing guitar and piano at? What made you decide to learn how to play these?

I began guitar with my dad at about 4. I played that for most of the next 6-8 years. I began to teach myself proper piano at 11, and then got some basic theory and piano lessons with my high school music and choral teacher, Mrs. Spadaro, who was such a lovely and passionate mentor to me. I just love playing music on my own and on my own terms, so when guitar was the family duo of me and my dad playing and singing together, and then my sister, who has an exquisite and really legit singing voice, we had a little group for family gathering and at church. Piano was especially important to me because I ended up becoming obsessed with Mozart and Beethoven in my early adolescence... They were my "rebellious" choices against a decade of mostly just contemporary christian music!

5. You and Alaska wrote and released an album 'The Amethyst Journey', what made you decide to do this? What's the inspiration behind the album and the name of the album?

We've made music for nearly ten years, just privately, and then mostly at cabarets and as part of band tours of her albums. She and I talked about putting an album together, and I was "sure...at whatever point that makes sense..." but she, being a busy celebrity, I wasn't sure how or when it'd happen. In March we went out to the redwood forests of California and wrote the albums songs in about 3 days. "Truth In The Light" came from my EP of the previous February, Something in Between (handsomejeremy.bandcamp.com), and when we were doing the Poundcake tour, she heard it and demanded I add it to the set. So we did!
Alaska apparently has had a lifelong connection with the stone; I just happened to gift her amethysts on her birthday and during the holiday--so that was a freaky woo woo and awesome that she appreciates the magical and witchy world of crystals and stones; she also has obessions with cartooned and animated series involving sci-fi and crystal elements. I love the purple colour range--it represents both queerness and royaly-- something I feel needs emphasized in our age when queer folk don't know enough to realize we are a blessed mutation and have evolved in special and magical ways that help better the world and help heal the planet--these are the elements infused into the album I want folks to recieve and feel and integrate into our daily lives. It's a concept album on the issues and perspectives we need to give some time and energy to.

6. Do you prefer going solo in music or collabing and why? Do you have any plans of doing a solo album?

I look forward to something really uniquely "Me" when I go solo. I don't know what "going solo" is if I haven't properly done anything like that musically--right now I'm solidly in a collaborative stage of my creative life with Alaska and others--I am creating music and songs for a play, la Strega, being performed in my hometown of Pittsburgh at the glitterbox theatre (https://www.theglitterboxtheater.com/); and making an album, until I learn otherwise, is collaboratibe--producers at least, any folks I want to sing and play in my work--so I'm not so haughty or organized yet to have something solo, hehehehe....

7. What tips and advice do you give to those wanting to get into songwriting?

Just fucking do it. Doesn't matter if you want fame or personal healing and catharsis. Learn instruments by ear, or get some theory training--rhythm, melody, harmony. And let it be free--fuck the marketing, fuck the image, fuck all that bullshit. Just sing, write, and perform where you can. If one's saying something meaningful, it's in the world, and it matters. Do it for yourself, not anybody else. Spend some time every day with it, like one would a lover or a TV show. Professional aspirations require daily devotion and determination. Have no delusions about fame or fortune--most of us don't hit it to the top, and it's a psychotic world up at the top--just create to create.

8. What's your favourite music era that you like to use or experiment with in your own music?

1500s-1800: Renaissance and Baroque and Classical periods of Western music. So many gorgeous dances and songs, whether a court composer or folk music from all over Europe.
I hope especially the native Brits know how brilliant Henry Purcell was/is--I adore his music. Monteverdi, Stradella, Handel, Mozart, Haydn... WOW. They never lose their brilliant or sense of spirit and life to me.
I think there's a hint of Medieval music in the album, so I guess that creeps up too. Magical stuff!

9. Do you feel that gender expression has become more accepted in the recent years?

Depends on your crowd. If you're in a city and in an English-speaking country, sure. Otherwise, it's a constant balance and act of courage to be oneself. And it's a form of activism until we reach a true snowball effect or "Hundredth Monkey Effect" in which it's not ok or acceptable to fuss about people's visable gender expression--for the Goddess's sake, live and let fucking live. People are watching and wearing items condoning gross violence, rape culture, and racism all the time. If I wanted tp wear flowing things, sandals, some eyeliner and a sexy lip with my hair up and earrings and it fucks with your life and reality and religeon--tough shit-- your religion will come and go like civilizations over the past millennia. Spirituality is eternal, like ethics--Morality is cultural and specific to time periods and peoples--that will constantly change.

10. Is there anything about drag that you feel people don't know about or don't appreciate as much as they should?

It's spiritual. Get into it. It's not about being a pretty girl. It's gender play magic and catharsis--it's that to me. Drag is protean. That word, protean, is an excellent word. : D

11. In 'The Amethyst Journey' you experiment with different genre's, what made you decide to do this?

Variety can be delicious and nutrious! And no genres are or are not specifically queer. Except maybe disco!

12. How did you and Justin/Alaska find out that each other could sing? What made you decide to put your music abilities together to write and perform music?

I heard Justin/Alaska sing and his voice is delightful. We'd sing for each other all the time, and sing together.
She needed a gimmick when she was a new queen in LA, and I obliged her. Just having fun and doing it nightly made us work as intimately as we do now, and as quickly and effectively as we do. We often don't have much time to put shows together with her busy schedule, so being able to improve musically and do what we know and just blast off into fun and enjoy our musicking together is what I love the most. And we love each others company-- that's wonderful and magical too!

13. How did you get your nicknames?

We have a number of them for each other. As for the Handsome part of my stage name... I needed to push myself to find myself attractive and becoming and someone others would find handsome by various definitions. To help my often weary self-esteem. As for Alaska--her name is based on a kind of legal plant medicine in California 😉👍

14. What one word describes you and your solo music? Why do you choose this word?

Healing. I hope it can do that for others.

15. How does it feel that music you and Justin wrote together helps people out? Why should people check out your music?

Let the people know: it's gorgeous music that desires to help and impact the hearts of those who listen. Find some healing and empowerment in it! It is a life worth living to know people receive healing, inspiration, and positive empowerment from listening to Amethyst Journey! 😍😍😍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alyssa Edwards 'Dancing Queen'

Alana Duvey Interview

Laganja Estranja Interview